Monday, May 19, 2008


Tough task

"I know my team, but picking the substitutes is the big problem. I’m not going to enjoy it. There are going to be some very good players I have to leave out."

- Sir Alex Ferguson





Manchester United set off for Moscow

Sir Alex Ferguson is taking a full squad with him to Russia's capital Moscow as the team departed from Manchester international airport on Monday afternoon.

The boss takes 24 players with him. He says he already knows his team, but picking seven substitutes - and subsequently leaving six players out - won't be easy.

"I know my team, but picking the substitutes is the big problem," he said. "I’m not going to enjoy it. There will be some very good players left out.

"I hope one day they extend the substitutes’ bench to 11 players as they do in World Cup games. The dilemma should be taken from me.

"It doesn’t get any easier with time. If anything it becomes more difficult. This team is starting to blend together and mature, so you get to know the players better. To be told by me that they’re being left out, no matter what I say, doesn’t resonate with them."

Travelling squad: (Goalkeepers) Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Heaton (Defenders) Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Brown, Neville, O'Shea, Silvestre, Pique (Midfielders) Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Nani (Forwards) Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Saha, Welbeck.

No comments: